Friday, January 30, 2009

Cook-cook-cook-cook-cook

That title is supposed to be sung to the tune of 'Choli ke peeche kya hai' from Khalnayak. Nevermind.

So. The point of this blog post is basically to think aloud about all the nice things I've learnt to cook. My opinion and idea of cooking has changed over years. Strangely enough, I used to be a better cook when I was small (about 12 yrs, shall we say?) when I used to help my mom around in then kitchen. Back then, with my sister doing medicine and all, it was mainly to gain mileage with my mom- I could always yap that I was the better cook 'despite being a boy'. Then, of course, she got better. Much better. Then, occupied with my own tribulations in life, I gave it a miss, and became what you can safely call a dunce at cooking. Of course, things have now changed. I had to learn cooking or eat food cooked by people who thought salt was spicy (it's not bad, you know, pasta and rösti and älplermaggronnen, but like the old adage, what's life without some spice?). Bottomline: I've learnt to cook. Quite well. (Don't ask me about times of experimentation, when, many a day, I've had to consume food that would not qualify even for a best-before date.) I'm quite proud of this whole cooking thing, you know. It's experimenting at its best. I've always considered myself good at hands on experimenting (I better be, or else I'll have made a bad career choice), and cooking is, as a pop-sci program would put it, something you can find in your kitchen. I'm crazy, because I often find myself wondering what really happens to food when you put it on heat and mix and stir and all that. Of course, it's not an exact science, and that's what makes it brilliant. I wish I could produce some photo-evidence of all my cooking exploits, but I'm not just a cook, you see. I'm also a glutton. I don't really have the patience to take pictures of my food when it is lying invitingly on my plate. This weekend, I'm making Gasagase Payasa. That's poppy seed pudding. Anyone who can smell it can hop in.

No comments:

Post a Comment